Monday, February 2, 2009

Scribbles in my Bible...

I have MANY random markings in my Bible. Not just earnest lines under precious scriptures. Not just stars by verses that touched my heart. Scribbles.... made by little hands.




When the scribbles were first made, I was not exactly pleased. I had conversations with little people with innocent eyes about the word of God... and how we don't scribble scrabble in our Bible. Maybe my lines and stars and notations looked the same as the loops and circles and slashing lines across the page made by those little hands. But still, correction was a part of growing up.



Now I look forward to seeing markings in my children's Bibles... lines under verses that are precious to their hearts. A star by a verse of scripture that spoke to them in a personal way would be such a blessing.

And the marks they left so many years ago? Precious - now I would not take a thing for scribbles in my Bible.



Isaiah 59:21 "And as for Me, this is My covenant with them," says the Lord: "My Spirit which is upon you, and My words which I have put in your mouth, shall not depart from your mouth, nor from the mouth of your offspring, nor from the mouth of your offspring's offspring," says the Lord, "from now and forever."



Father God, I thank You for Your Word. I thank you for the guidance that You have provided me through Your Word... guidance for me, my children, and my children's children, now and forever. In Jesus name and for His sake, Amen.

3 comments:

JC said...

I still have the KJV Bible I used then Ronny was a pastor. It has scribbles from various little ones that wanted to sit with me during the service. I figured if I could write in the Bible they could to. One little girl was learning her numbers so she would write the page number under the page number as neatly as a 4 year old could. That is a good memory of those days.

Tiz said...

Jen, I really like this post. I look through my Bibles sometimes and read the notes I made during a sermon, etc. Some notes I probably would not write now but that is OK. That was where I was at that time. And yes, there are some scribble scrabbles in mine too. I think I will just go look at some of them. Thanks for reminding me.
Love you, Tiz

Oma aka Meme said...

dear hubby underlined all the verses that were in the sermons he heard and if already done then he made a notation - he also had may prayer requests and blessings he would write for the grand kids- his Bible is a blessing to look through as He loved God's word so much- thanks for a memory reminder
hugs from Meme