Tuesday, March 17, 2009

TUESDAY WITH TIZ

Flowers of Peace and Joy

"to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness" Isaiah 61:3

The first time I was introduced to this part of God's Word was twenty-two years ago following the death of my Mother. This verse was on the little cards I purchased to use as thank you notes to family and friends for the many acts of kindness shown us during our time of mourning.

I know now that Jesus Himself was ministering to me through these friends. He was giving me "beauty for ashes" - some translations say "garlands for ashes" and the Message translation says "bouquets of roses for ashes". Think of that - flowers for mourning!!! What a swap!!! Flowers of Peace and Joy!!! Jesus was also giving me the "oil of joy for mourning" - His oil of gladness!!! And "the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness" - Praise truly lifts the spirit of heaviness!!!!

These friends were anointed with Jesus Himself to meet the needs of my family. Jesus just showed Himself strong through them as they went about doing what came natural for them to do!!!

Now that makes me want to beg to be on the care ministry team at my church!!!!!!

"Father, I see your anointing as a great responsibility - my responding to your ability. I pray that I will ever be sensitive to the needs of hurting people around me and you will minister through me to give someone "beauty for ashes". I pray that you will minister to anyone reading this blog today that needs flowers instead of ashes and the oil of gladness instead of mourning. In Jesus comforting name, I pray." Amen

2 comments:

JC said...

I remember those days well. Hard to think that it has been 22 years. Beautiful post.

CHolmes said...

God has given me much beauty for ashes through you during our 37 years of sisterhood. Can we really be THAT old! Love ya.