Monday, May 26, 2008

A Memorial Day Dedication Prayer, from the Mother of a Warrior

I contacted Joyce, of Mom is a Verb, to guest blog today's post. She is the wife to a retired military man, and the mother of soldiers. I realize that today is Memorial Day, a day to remember those who have FALLEN. I personally pray a hedge of protection over Joyce's sons, that we will not have to remember their service to our country.... that we will be memories ourselves before the Lord calls them Home.

BUT, this is why it is so vitally important to remember our Brave Men and Women who serve our Country through Military Service. These are people, who weighing the dangers faced them, Serve ANYWAY. Who heed the call, and dedicate their lives to our country. To James and his brother, I thank you Sirs. And to Joyce and her husband Bob, I offer you my respect for raising Warriors.

Now, I present to you Joyce and her Memorial Day Devotional and Prayer!





This week I was struck by Jacob’s final blessings at the end of the book of Genesis. Joseph comes to Jacob in Genesis 48 because he is told his father is sick. Jacob was still amazed at how God had used the evil Joseph’s brothers intended and turned it to good. Joseph became second only to Pharaoh, and Jacob, now living in Egypt gives final instructions. Jacob says, in verse 11, “I never expected to see your face, and behold, God has let me see your children as well." And Jacob blesses Joseph with: “The God before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac walked, The God who has been my Shepherd all my life to this day, The angel who has redeemed me from all evil, BLESS THE LADS, and may my name live on in them, and the names of my fathers Abraham and Isaac, and may they grow into a multitude in the midst of the earth.”

God, You have been My Shepherd all my life to this day. Please bless the lads.

In Genesis 49:10 (Jacob is prophesying about Judah ) The scepter shall not depart from Judah , nor the ruler’s staff from between his feet, UNTIL SHILOH COMES, and to Him shall be the obedience of the peoples. He ties His foal to the vine, and His donkey’s colt to the choice vine; He washes His garments in wine, and His robes in the blood of grapes.

God, You have been My Shepherd all my life to this day. Please bless the lads. You promised that the scepter shall not depart from Judah, nor the ruler’s staff from between His feet, until Shiloh comes, and to Him shall be the obedience of the peoples. Jesus did come, and tied His foal to the vine, and His donkey’s colt to the choice vine.

We wait for His second coming, so until Shiloh comes, as Psalm 144 says, “Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; my loving kindness and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer; my shield and He in whom I take refuge…”

Only You, Lord, can give our soldiers faces of lions, and only You, Lord, can make them swift as gazelles. Only You, God, can equip them for war, and make them as it says in first Chronicles 12, “mighty men of valor…” “..who understand the times, with knowledge of what You would have the USA do. Make us always friends of Israel . Make our armies like the army of God. Your will be done.

If You can use them, Lord, to bring peace so that everyone in the Middle East can hear the Gospel that Your Son did come, as He promised, and died on the cross for the sins of the whole world, then, we thank You for the peace and that opportunity. But, if evil men continue to desire to enslave and hurt others, then please use our brave soldiers to hunt them down and destroy them. You know, O Lord, exactly where the bad men, like Osoma bin Ladin and his ilk are hiding. I pray that in Your perfect time, You expose them, and destroy them, and make it so obvious that it was from You.

In Jesus name.

Amen.



6 comments:

Mimi said...

what a wonderful devotional for Memorial Day...thank you so very much for sharing it with us...
blessings to you,
Mimi

j said...

Joyce, this was just wonderful! I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your willingness to write this today. I hope today, and all of your tomorrows are truly Blessed!

Love in Christ,

Jennifer

Mari said...

This was a great devotion for memorial Day. Thanks!

Sarge Charlie said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments on my post.

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer “am I worth dying for?”~

Sarge Charlie said...

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer “am I worth dying for?”~

Eleanor Roosevelt

Sorry, I forgot to credit Eleanor Roosevelt

Kimmie said...

Dear Joyce,
Thank You so much for this lovely and inspiring devotional today. May we always know and remember what this day represents...and that we never lose "Hope" for our future. Let us pray for Peace.
Hugs,
Kimmie