Thursday, May 29, 2008

~*~ Thankful Thursday With JC ~*~

~*~Thankful Thursday with JC~*~ is a gratitude journal of sorts. Every evening I thank God for least seven things for that day. My way of thinking is that I will share seven of those things with you, my blessed and highly favored blog reader, on a weekly basis and invite you to share yours. Let’s face it by Thursday I’m are feeling a bit ragged around the edges and by Friday I am thanking God for getting me through another week! Well, my God desires praise, gratitude and honor every day of the week and it is my pleasure to give it to Him.

To understand some of the things I’m thankful for you need to know me a little better. When I reference family, I’m speaking of extended family, four siblings, two first cousins, their spouses, their children, and grandchildren. I am the last of five children. I had a brother who was 18 years my senior and a nephew who is 20 years my junior. Yes, I have known martial bliss and the heartbreak of martial demise with no children to be hurt in the process.

My employment is in education, as a director of a federal grant program that must be renewed every four years. This means we spend every third year of the grant writing a renewal proposal and the fourth year not knowing if we will have a job. I’ve learned that my security does not lie with my employer. The grant works with at risk youth in public middle and high schools that are capable of benefiting from post secondary education. I don’t work directly with these students; I have a staff that does a great job of mentoring and guiding them. I’m the one that juggles the budget and encourages my staff to keep on keeping on in the face of the many challenges that face anyone doing anything in public schools.

I am a founding director in a public charity named the Lifting You Up Foundation, Inc. This charity was founded to provide scholarships for at risk youth, particularly those who have lost a parent to death or coming out of the foster care system.

I promise future postings from me will not contain so much chatter about myself.

Father God,

I praise You for who You are... my protector and provider; the creator of all. I thank You that there are people who want to be the U. S. President or to serve in any other elected position for that matter. Lord, I honestly do not care for any of the candidates but Father I still believe that “In God We Trust” stamped on our money applies now more than ever. I know it does to me. I got to thinking about the upcoming elections when I attended several/many area Awards/Honors day programs this past week in area public high schools. At each we rose and said the “Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag”. “One nation under God, with liberty and justice for all.” Well, Father, I’ve come to question the liberty and justice for all part but I am so very thankful that we are “one nation under God”. Father I ask You to make it clear to me how You want me to vote in November and not just me Father but every person that votes whether they profess Your Son or not. As I sat on those very hard folding chairs or gym bleachers for hours and listened as various scholarships were given to the seniors of 2008, I paid special attention to the representatives of the various branches of the military. Each one took his/her place behind the podium and announced proudly that we have a future whatever (Marine, Army, Navy & Air Force) in our midst. The young person’s name would be announce followed by cheers and clapping but Father in my heart I wanted to scream “NO” at the top of my lungs. “You are to young to make a decision like this!!” “Go to college first!!” but I didn’t. Where would we be as a nation if young men and women didn’t have the courage to step up and serve so Father I am truly thankful for those seniors of 2008 who are entering military service. As we honored those who served and are currently serving our country on Memorial Day, Lord I want to lift up those who WILL serve. Father you were with me there; you know who they are so just give them wisdom and discernment to know the right thing to do, how to do it and when. Keep a hedge of protection round about them and keep them safe. If any of them don’t know Your Son, I ask that You place someone in their path to lead them to a saving knowledge of Your Son, Jesus Christ. Father, I’m thankful that several of our program participants are graduating in the top 10 of their class. I’m thankful for my staff that works so hard to instill within these youth the knowledge and skills they need to be successful as they go to college. Father thank you for keeping me safe as I traveled this past week to the various schools and to my family Sunday. Father thank you for each of my family members (all of them), I am so blessed to be loved and appreciated by each of them. I pray Father that each of them from the oldest to the youngest know that I love them totally, completely and unconditionally. None of them has to write, call, email, visit or acknowledge me in their life for me to love them. Father even though I can’t imagine loving them more You love me more than I love them because You sent Your Son that I might have life and have in it in abundance. How Incredible You Are!!! Keep them safe and give them everything they need to be truly happy.

All these things I ask in the powerful and precious name of Jesus.

Amen

That is my seven for the past week. What are yours? JC

2 comments:

Jerri junque said...

I have been having a hard time trying to understand all this election hype. I have ask guestions to anyone that will listen. I still feel it is a honor to be able to vote, it is my duty. Why did I not think to ask our God almighty. Thank you for your words, and the slap on the forehead, (like you could have had a V8) ask and you will recieve.

April said...

I enjoyed reading your blog today. There is always Rick and Bubba for President.