Monday, July 28, 2008

Happy Birthday Daddy!

Today is one of my Dad's Birthdays. He has three. The first one is one July 20th. It is the day that he was actually born. Then today, July 28th, is the day listed on his birth certificate and the day that he actually celebrates. Then he has the day that he was "born again", the day that he accepted Jesus. That day was March 7, 1999.

At this point in my father's life, it is almost impossible to talk about him without talking about the Lord. His day to day life is completely entwined with serving the Lord. I can tell you memories of him that I have as a child, and not speak about God, because I wasn't raised in a Christian home. In fact, I was the first person in our home to get saved. And Daddy was the last one. I spent YEARS praying for him. It seemed like the least likely thing in the world to happen. But God seems to be quite comfortable with miracles.

My Dad called me on March 7, 1999 and said "Are you sitting down?" I was. On the toilet (some things you would rather forget). "Yeeeeees......."

And he said "I got saved today."

I cried. And shouted. And asked him to tell me everything. He did, and I cried some more. And Praised God.

The Bible speaks of becoming a new creation in Christ, and my father did. God fully created in him a new heart. I have witnessed that miracle and can testify to what God can do.

There are so many things that I should tell you about my Dad. I wish that I could make you fully understand how amazing this is, but Grace is just that. AMAZING.

Daddy is a blue collar all American man. He has worked harder all of his life than any person that I know. Honest. Mr. Smitherman, who lived next door to us when I was a little girl, told him that he would never live to see 30. Daddy was working 16 hour days 7 days a week for months at a time. No days off. He slept and worked. And had a meal in between there somewhere.

And now, he works just that hard for the Lord. He knows that he is saved by Grace, but he loves the Lord so much, there is nothing that he would rather do than to work for Him. Dad is now a Baptist preacher, certified to Marry and Bury (preacher humor you know). There is an excitement in his eyes when he talks about church. His joy is sharing the things that God has done. To me, my father is a man after God's own heart.

So, Happy Birthday to my Dad. I am so thankful to have seen prayers answered in his life, beyond what I even had the sense to pray for. God has shown me how abundantly He can give life, through witnessing my father truly begin to live!

Father God,

Thank You for the way that You saw fit to answer my prayers for my father. Thank You for the many people who joined me in praying for Dad. Thank You for allowing me to belong to a Christian Family. Lord, bless Daddy to day. His delight really is in You Lord, so I ask that You reveal Yourself to him in a special way today.

I praise you and thank You Lord for my Dad's salvation.

In Jesus Name.

Amen

7 comments:

concerned parent said...

That was a very touching post and a wonderful birthday present to your dad. Tell him happy birthday from a strange blogger from the north

JC said...

This is a precious post. Hope your Dad has a great day. Love ya, JC

Susan said...

What a wonderful post and testimony to keep praying for our loved ones. God is faithful!!!
Susan

Tiz said...

Jen, I remember us praying for your dad when we attended a Bible study together many moons ago!!!! It is exciting to see how you love and admire your dad. PTL

Be sweet, Tiz

Lori Stilger said...

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Jennifer}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
WOW, what an amazing post. Praise GOD for His grace and mercy! Thank you SO much - and Happy Birthday, Daddy!

Dawn said...

What an AMAZING story! Isn't it wonderful when God allows us to see the answer and fruits of our prayer?!

Blessings to you both!

Dawn

Kimmie said...

This was just beautiful. What a lovely gift to give your Daddy. I loved reading how Grace touched your family's life one by one, and your Daddy being the last. In his own way, he was the beginning and the end, just like Our Father, but in Faith with his family.

A belate Happy Birthday to your Daddy!

Much Love,
Kimmie