Tuesday, July 29, 2008

TUESDAYS WITH TIZ


Showing COMPASSION....


This past Sunday our pastor shared with us about showing compassion to those people God brings across our path. Some are discouraged, angry, depressed, sick in body, lonely, or just needing a friend.

Pastor Wren defined compassion this way - "An inward moving in my spirit that causes an outward action to meet the needs of others." I read several definitions of compassion and decided I liked Pastor Wren's the best. I just know I would rather feel compassion than try to define it.

Jesus met needs as He WAS MOVED WITH COMPASSION. (my heart gets all warm when I read these words)

"He was moved with COMPASSION toward them and he healed their sick" Matthew 14:14

"So Jesus had COMPASSION on them and touched their eyes" Matthew 20:34

"And when the Lord saw her, he had COMPASSION on her, and said unto her, Weep not" Luke 7:13

How do we show compassion in everyday life? Maybe we just need to sit with someone and help them cry or just listen as they pour out their heart to us. We may need to buy someone a sandwich or put gas in their car. Whatever the need Jesus will direct us to joyfully meet that need. Isn't that exciting!!!!!!

Father, help me to know fully what Godly compassion is and how Your compassion can flow through me to meet the needs of those around me. I pray that everyone reading this blog will be led by you to show compassion to someone today. Help us all grow in Your wisdom and truth today.

In Jesus Compassionate name, I pray.

Amen

4 comments:

JC said...

Tiz, In the last couple of weeks, I've seen places where compassion is lacking. Even small things like excuse me or thank you is missing. I was reminded to do what I can, when I can, where I can, for as long as ever I can. I think John Wesley said that or something like that.

You are so right that what God may lead us to do may not be grand things just to show His love however He sees fit. Sometimes a smile or nod goes a long way.

This is a great post. Love ya, JC

j said...

Oh Tiz. It just gets better and better. Praise God for what He leads you to share. PRAISE GOD!!!

I am not generous with compassion, not the way I should be. Not the way Christ is. Thank you for the gentle reminder.

Be blessed Tiz.

Jen

Dawn said...

Our pastor has been doing a sermon series on "Live Like You Are Dying" and this past Sunday was on the topic of grief. Along with that, helping people through the stages of grief. Goes hand in hand with compassion. We (that's me!) should all strive to be more compassionate - even when we "feel" that someone isn't deserving. After all, Christ didn't wait 'til someone was deserving of it.

Blessings!
Dawn

Stanley said...

So true, so true. Its really needed nowadays considering the state of our world. Nice pic btw =)