Sunday, August 31, 2008

PRAY FOR OUR NEIGHBORS



I do not intend to be morbid by posting footage of the destruction that Katrina left behind. But in light of what is churning out in the Gulf of Mexico, I think that this should serve as a gentle reminder that each person in this video is US.

I am the mother clutching my child protectively. I am the man holding on to the side of the boat for dear life. I am the man trapped on the roof. I am the woman in a wheelchair, facing destruction without the use of my legs. I am the child lost and afraid.

In the face of a disaster, I am these people. Nothing separates me from the faces. It could just as easily be me as them.

Please remember to pray NOW for each family that will be affected by Gustav unless God intervenes. And when the call for help is given, have compassion on your neighbor.

Father God,

I am not sure how to pray over a situation like this. Of course I pray that you would intervene to protect the lives of those living on the Gulf Coast. I also pray that your will be done and that I would react the way you would have me to. I pray Jesus over all and over the entire situation.
In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

1 comment:

JC said...

Jen, The changes are more evident to me today. I saw footage of flooding in your area near the interstate. They gave the name of you town and I immediately when running to the TV this morning. Alabama is fortunate to have the opportunity to provide shelter and care to so many people from New Orleans. I will continue to keep the hurricane victims in my prayers. Love ya, JC