Thursday, September 11, 2008

~ Thankful Thursdays with JC ~

I get a daily devotional book from my church every three months call The Word For You Today. A few days ago, I opened it and read my daily devotion. After reading it, I realize I had read the wrong day. However, I don’t believe things just happen for no reason. I believe I should share this day with you. The devotion I read was for September 11, 2008, page 10, reads:

“THINK ON THESE THINGS.” PHILIPPIANS 4:8

Make that your attitude, too!

“Your ability to succeed in life often comes down to a single choice: how you react to what has been done to you in the past, or is being done to you right now. Dr. Viktor Frankl endured the Holocaust by this principle. The Nazis killed his family, placed him in a concentration camp, starved and beat him. When the war ended Frankl was neither broken, bowed nor bitter. When asked how he endured such treatment with a positive outlook he said, “Everything can be taken from a man but one thing; the last of human freedoms, to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”

Ground Zero is a massive canyon where the Twin Towers once stood. Three thousand people died there on September 11, 2001. And how did New Yorkers choose to respond? A sign at the edge of Ground Zero proclaims, “The human Spirit is not measured by the size of the act, but by the size of the heart.” That’s an attitude terrorists will never conquer. And it’s the attitude God’s Word calls us to adopt: “Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report…think on these things.”

Every day you choose the clothes you wear, the food you eat, and the attitude you adopt. And there are only two kinds of attitudes – good ones and bad ones. A good attitude is the one the Psalmist adopted when he woke up each morning: “this is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it” (Ps 118:24 NKJV). Make that your attitude too!”

Father God, how awesome you are. You alone are worthy of my praise and adoration. Father I ask you to touch each person that lost someone on that tragic day in our country’s history, seven years ago. Father thank you for the reminder that regardless of what happens to us you are there to see us through. Even when it seems that all is lost and our burden is more than we can bear, you are there…always there. Help us to be mindful to choose the right attitude in every situation. In Jesus’ precious and powerful name I pray, amen.

6 comments:

Tiz said...

Goodness, JC, I think this is the most beautiful, timely, post I have ever read. Go, Girl!!!!

Love you, Bethy

Sign4Jesus said...

What a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing that. Attitude is everything and attitude determines how we go through all situations. God bless!

Dawn said...

What a great post - beautifully written!

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Your post rendered me speechless, for your words, and for the words of Almighty God. Blessings, Whitney

j said...

I felt a certain thrill that I was privy to this post before everyone else was. That is how it feels for me when something that y'all write stops me in my tracks and makes me think.

That happens QUITE often by the way.

It was a wonderful post JC. So very well written.

Jen

j said...

Oh, and I agree, with the Lord, there is a reason for the timing of things. His time is perfect as shown in this post.

Love You and I hope you have a great weekend.