Thursday, October 2, 2008

~ Thankful Thursday with JC ~

First of all, I want to wish the Jewish people a very Happy New Year. Rosh Hashanah means head of the year thus the beginning of a new year (5769 to be exact) in the Hebrew calendar. I’m a couple of days late, since the year actually changed at sunset Monday (9/29/08). Now the Jewish people are going through the Days of Awe and then will go into the Days of Atonement and end with Yom Kippur. At least that is the way I think it goes. You can check it out for yourself, since there are a lot of Internet sites on the Jewish faith.

Why do I care? I care because salvation came to me through the Jewish people. In the book of Romans it says branches were broken off so I (a Gentile) could be grafted in. I’m thankful for salvation through Jesus the Messiah. Jesus said he didn’t come to destroy the law but to fulfill it. Now, I’m not saying I think it is necessary to observe the Jewish holidays or Holy day but I am saying that I respect the heritage I have in the Jewish faith as a recipient of grace.

This is a time of reflection and repentance of them. I’ve noticed that many Christian ministries have a special time of prayer during this time of year.

During Monday night’s Bible Study the leader was reading Isaiah 66:1 but my eyes were drawn to words in verse 2 that says, “..But this is the man to whom I will look and have regard: he who is humble and of a broken or wounded spirit and who trembles at My word and reveres My commands.”(AMP) The word that really jumped out is “HUMBLE”. That word is used 97 times in scripture. Check out Proverbs 3:34 for yourself. In case you don’t know pride is the opposite of humble.

Maybe during this season of the Jewish New Year it would be a good time for us to have time of reflection to see, if there is sin we need to let go of. You know pride, jealously, arrogance, selfishness, etc. Check out Proverbs for the things God hates.

Father God, Holy is Your name. You are worthy to be praised, worshiped, and adored. I come before You as Your child in true humility with a broken spirit asking You to forgive me of my sins whatever they maybe and cast them into Your river of forgetfulness. Father, thank You for the way You bring things to my attention. You are so loving and so gently with Your daughter. Father thank You for Your Son, Jesus my Savior, for it is in his precious, holy and powerful name I pray. Amen

4 comments:

Tiz said...

JC, what a beautiful tribute to His Jewish people. Thank you, I needed the reminder.

Love you, Bethy

j said...

You brought it all together wonderfully. I appreciate the information on the Jewish holidays. And being humble is so much better than having to BE humbled. Excellent point that it is the opposite of pride.

Really great post!

Jessica said...

What an inspirational blog you have!! Wow!!

Thank you for the kind advice. Never say never is so true!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. We're truly saved by Grace. I needed every one of your words tonight. Tonight I feel like the woman that said even the dogs eat the scraps thrown from the table Lord. I love your site. May you be blessed for blessing others. ~Whitney