Thursday, October 16, 2008

THANKFUL THURSDAY WITH JC

FIND YOUR LIFE BY LOSING IT was the title of this Sunday's sermon. My pastor used Matthew 16:25 "For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it." If you want to hear the sermon you can go here.

He had us take out a dollar, our driver's license (any picture id) and remove our watch and hold them.

Then he talked about our money represented by the dollar and he then read Matthew 26: 24-27, "For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?..." He went on to talk about the rich young ruler and about it is hard for a person with riches to enter the kingdom. Not that there is anything wrong with riches but we aren't to put riches before Him.

Next we held up our ID (driver's license) and he discussed our identity or how we see ourselves. What importance to we place on our degrees, our job, our status. Again nothing wrong with that but when it comes between us and Him then we are setting our self up for a fall.

Lastly we held up our watches representing our time. How much time do we spend with Him and in doing acts of service to others. Nothing wrong with most things that take up our time except when it interferes with the things He calls us to do.

My pastor used many scriptures for each point which I would not even begin to do justice to in this post but as I was driving home another scripture came to my mind. Since it hasn't left my thoughts, I want to share it with you. Mark 10: 42-45 Jesus is speaking, "...You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

I read a post recently by a young person who has aspirations of stardom and all the trappings that come with that life. Clearly this young person is interested in being served rather than serving but in some way expects God make all these things come to pass. I was very sad from reading how far away from scripture this life has strayed. Then my Father gently reminded me as he reminded Peter when Peter wanted to know what was going to happen to John and Jesus told Peter not to concern himself with John. The Father gently reminded me to concern myself with my relationship with Him.

Father, how awesome You are. How mindful You are of all Your children. You and You alone are worthy of my praise, my worship, my adoration. Thank You for the gentle reminder not to judge others but rather keep a check on my attitude. Father forgive me. Father open my eyes of understanding of Your word. Help me to recognize opportunities for service that come from You and not just stuff that sounds good. Help me keep my eyes on You and You alone. In Jesus' precious, holy and powerful name I pray. Amen.

3 comments:

Tiz said...

Preach on, little sister!!! I listened to this message yesterday while I ironed!!!!
Great post!!!

Love you, Bethy

Kimmie said...

JC, thank you for such a wonderful post! A perfect message to remind us that our lord should always be first. I can't imagine it being any other way.

Hugs,
Kimmie

j said...

Wow. I am so bad about putting people and things before the Lord. This was a well timed reminder. REALLY REALLY wonderful post.

Love you JC!

Jen