Thursday, December 11, 2008

THANKFUL THURSDAY WITH JC

Unexpected things happen and when they happen near a holiday the joy or sorrow of the event seems magnified.

Last week I injured my left knee with no insurance to pay for the doctor or therapy.

Monday I learned that Charlotte, my housekeeper, went home to be with Jesus (she passed away on Friday). She leaves two grown daughters and grandchildren that will miss her.

Tuesday I was told my car needed repairs totaling hundreds of dollars.

Wednesday I learned that Mark, a blog friend of mine and Jen's, lost his battle with cancer. He left his wife Rebecca and grown children to mourn his passing.

A staff member had a serious car wreck on her way home on slick wet streets but no one was hurt, praise GOD.

Only God knows what unexpected thing today or tomorrow holds or even if there will be a tomorrow.

How do we react to the unexpected? If you have lost a love one, you know that for a few moments time seems to stand still. But not so for the rest of world, businesses don't close, traffic doesn't stop, the telephone still rings, the world goes on as if nothing has happen while your heart breaks. You want things to just stop, at least for a few moments while you get your bearings, while you absorb the fact that your life has changed forever. Then come the first holidays without them. I remember the first holidays without my Daddy and years later without my Mama, they were awful. As I type these words, I can feel the emotions and tears welling up from the holes in my heart where they once dwelled. But time passes and joy returns. Life returns to a new normal. For a Christian we find peace in scripture and through prayer or we become bitter. It is our choice.

I saw this scripture on a comment left on Jen's other blog and I wanted to share it here. Jeremiah 31:13 "Then maidens will dance & be glad, young men & old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow."

I ask each of you reading this post to keep these grieving families in your prayers through this Christmas season.

Abba, Father, God thank you for hearing my prayer. Thank you for allowing me to know Mark and Charlotte. Father comfort their families, wrap Mark's wife Rebecca in your arms of comfort and peace and let her know that You will be her husband. Give these grieving families Jeremiah 31:13 to hold on to. Father, there aren't any words we can speak to make their sorrow any easier to bear so I just ask you to love them as only you can. Please provide for their financial needs as well as their emotional and spiritual needs. In Jesus' precious, holy and powerful name I pray. Amen.

3 comments:

Debra said...

Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: Job 13:15 How my heart goes out to all those that are grieving this Christmas season!

God Bless and comfort them!

Tiz said...

JC, this is a very comforting, timely post. I experience the same emotions you do when I think back on our parents deaths. But, Praise God, we can still sing "Joy, to the world, The Lord has come".

Yes, stuff happens!!! and we get better or bitter - Thank God, we have a choice. And all because of a baby born on Christmas Day. Glory!!!

Love you, Bethy

j said...

It has been an emotional week. But the same heart that feels the pain feels the joy. I am thankful that Mark is no longer suffering, but my heart grieves for Rebecca.

He is the prize, He is the goal, He is what makes it worth moving forward. He is our reward NOW and in Heaven.

Be blessed JC. This was a great post.