Thursday, January 29, 2009

THANKFUL THURSDAY WITH JC

Sammy Gilbreath lives each day like it is his last. He was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy several years ago. According to his doctors, there is nothing that can be done for him. They say he would not survive a heart transplant so it isn't an option. Yet, Sammy is a man of faith so he walks the walk and talks the talk of a man on a mission. The mission of seeing lost souls won to Christ.

No, Sammy isn't rocky mountain climbing, or skydiving but he is preaching at every church that will extend an invitation. He will continue to do this until he goes home. He says he has changed a couple of words in his vocabulary. One he has changed is "got to get" as in I've got to go preach to, I "get to go" preach. The other is "if" when saying I'm sorry. He says when you say "If I hurt you I'm sorry" it negates the apology. How true because you're really saying "I don't think I'm wrong."

I'm honored to have had him as my pastor many, many years ago. So when I heard his voice Sunday morning on TV, my spirit jumped for joy. He was told not to make the trip from Montgomery to Birmingham the first Sunday of this year but he did. How powerful the message that was broadcast from Gardendale First Baptist Church, "Live like you are dying." Some part of us knows our time here is limited but we scarce give it a thought. Sammy lives with the reality of a machine in his chest that shocks his heart when it stops but he spends no time dwelling on himself. There are souls to save.

Father God, thank you for Sammy Gilbreath and the influence he and his family have had on my life. Father, forgive me for being self-centered and compliant in witnessing to others of Your grace and mercy found in the sacrifice of Jesus my Savior. Father, give me courage and boldness to live my life as if everyday could be my last. In Jesus precious, holy, and powerful name I pray. Amen





2 comments:

j said...

I had never heard that about using "if with an apology. That makes SO much sense. I know I have apologized that way before and I have been apologized to that way before.

His testimony was inspiring. It is wonderful that he has decided to keep going for the Lord as opposed to taking it easy. I don't know that I would be as good a person as he is if it were me.

Awesome Post!!

Jen

Tiz said...

JC, I am glad to hear from Bro. Sammy. I was wondering about him a few days ago.

Great post - inspiring video.

Love you, Bethy