Thursday, April 2, 2009

THANKFUL THURSDAY WITH JC

WORDS, WORDS, WORDS, WORDS, WORDS
We speak and think thousands of words every day. I tell young people the most important words they speak aren't spoken at all. They are the words they tell themselves about themselves. That recording that plays over and over inside of us.

Jesus said, "For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks" (Matthew 12:34).

Every time we speak, we either advance the kingdom of life, or we advance the kingdom of death.

I know people who are careful about the words they speak to others and about others. However these same people, speak word of death about themselves . I had this tendency but praise God I realize who I am as a child of God. Who am I to criticize His handiwork.

I hand a young person a slip of paper with the words "I am _____". I asked them to fill in the blank, then we talk about the power of our words. Words that build up or encourage physically make us stronger. Words that tear down physically weaken us. This has been proven scientifically and we do an exercise to prove it. We then discuss the fact that we want to be strong so we are going to speak words that build up. We want to think and speak words that make our friends, family, teachers and ourselves strong.

So how about you, are you speaking words of life about God's handiwork (yourself) to yourself and others or do you waste time and energy in being critical of yourself ? Are you limiting God's ability to work in your life by the words you speak? Think about it.

Father, how awesome you are. How worthy you are to be praised! Worthy of my loyalty and adoration! Yes, adoration; I adore you! Thank you for reminding me of this workshop on the power of words. Father, I pray that anyone reading this post that maybe critical of themselves will realize that they are criticizing YOU because we are made in YOUR image. Thank you for changing my life when I changed my words. Lord, if it pleases you, minister to others through my words. In Jesus' precious, powerful and holy name I pray. Amen

2 comments:

Tiz said...

Who am I to critize His handiwork? What an awesome statement.

Great post. Thanks, JC

Love you, Bethy

j said...

Wow! You REALLY made me think with this one. I am the world's worst about putting myself down. I have done it for years. I told Emily the other day that she was built just like me. What message is that sending to her?!! I pray God will undo any damage I may have done.

Love you JC!

Jen