Thursday, June 4, 2009

THANKFUL THURSDAY WITH JC

I spent yesterday with a group of students who will be graduating from high school in 2010. We went for a tour of some Birmingham landmarks and did a walking tour of UAB (University of Alabama in Birmingham). These young people are at a crossroad. It is now that they must make decisions that will affect their future. Where will they go to college? Will they go to college? Will they go into the military? What branch or National Guard? Will they go to work? Will they go into a technical trade. Some are still 16 some barely 17. Can they make these kind of decisions on their own? Some of them have been in the program I direct since sixth grade. They have had an opportunity to visit six different college campuses and been exposed to at least that many different career opportunities. Is it enough. Some may get discouraged and drop out of high school. I pray not but it happens too often.

They are at a crossroad. We (my staff) can only go so far in what we can teach them, we can't teach them what is truly important. Separation of church and state you know. We can only discuss faith when the child opens the door. Sometimes they do but not often. Oh, how I wish we could. From us they learn how to explore different career options, search for scholarships and other financial aid, how to apply for college, how to make a budget, the importance of community service.

They are at a crossroad and my heart aches for them. Do they know that God has a good plan for their future? Do they know how to call on Him? Do they know how to live life so that God can lead, guide and direct them? I didn't at their age. I didn't have a clue.

If you have someone in your life who is at a crossroad, don't assume they know what is best. Take a chance and ask them if they know the ONE who holds their future in HIS hands. If they look at you cross-eyed then consider yourself blessed. They may just thank you one day for caring enough to inquire.

Father God, holy is Your name. Worthy are You of my praise, my adoration, and my worship. Father God help me to know what to say to teenagers to guide them in the right direction. The direction that leads to Your Son. The enemy is so cunning in His devices, the world will tell them all kinds of things. Lord I don't want to be an adult that is on the sideline letting them go the way of the world without putting up a fight for their future, for their souls, so show me, teach me, guide me and every person reading this post how to communicate the TRUTH to teenagers. In Jesus' precious, holy and powerful name. Amen.

2 comments:

Tiz said...

JC, this post is just precious. How blest these kids are to be in your program. And I just believe this program will make a positive difference in their lives.

Love you,
Bethy

j said...

God put these kids in your life for you to pray for them. It wasn't chance or random. I join you in prayer for them to meet the Savior.

And I am praying a prayer of thanksgiving for YOU.

Love you JC,

Jen