Sunday, August 9, 2009

Jen here...

I stand amazed at the way God works. He is so personal to each believer's walk and life. It is not a cookie cutter faith - looking the same for each believer - but a personal relationship tailored to speak to the heart of each individual child of God.

My family and I went to New Orleans this weekend. Although I have to admit the decadence of behavior there was at times shocking, I have fallen in love with certain aspects of this city. The history represented in the architecture is amazing. The number of things for a family to do were wonderful. The sense of safety that I felt as we moved around the city was surprising.

But there was a sense of purposefully avoiding certain areas to keep our visit family friendly. I feel like this is probably true of any major city where there is a large concentration of humanity in a relatively small area.

Maybe New Orleans does have a bit of a reputation like some larger cities. It was certainly understood that as tourists, we needed to be mindful of our own naivete.

I was not expecting God to speak to me in such a mighty way in the "Big Easy."

My husband and I had watched a couple of shows about natural disasters and the destruction that had ensued. My spirit was feeling oppressed by the negative images that I had steadily put before my eyes that evening. I needed to be lifted.

Having left my Bible in the car, I searched in the nightstand on my side of the bed for the Gideon Bible that most hotels have tucked away. The Bible was not there. I leaned across the bed and checked the other nightstand. There it was. I thumbed through the pages waiting for the Word of God to open itself to me and reveal what I would read that night (I do wonder if I am the only person to seek God's voice this way). As I was thumbing through, I spotted where someone had underlined and circled verse numbers. It was in the first and second chapters of Judges, but mostly in Judges chapter 2.

I must confess, I get easily confused when reading the Old Testament. I have been a Christian for many years and I guess it shouldn't confound me as it does. I adore The Book of Psalms (easily one of my favorite books of the Bible) but the historical books lose me at times. After reading these chapters, I went to my computer, looking for commentary that would help me understand what I had read. I wound up HERE.

I should probably go into what the Lord revealed to me but I'm afraid I will make a mess of it. All I can say is I realized small sins and my backslidden behavior have done a lot of damage in my life lately. I did not "drive out the inhabitants" of sin in my life... have not obeyed His voice.... and it has driven a wedge in my life spiritually. I confess this as sin and ask God to forgive me of it.

Did He want me to realize this? Yes, because there I am staying in the room with the Gideon Bible with the scriptures underlined in it that He used to speak to me and convict me.

Judges 2:5 says "And they called the name of that place Bo'chim: and they sacrificed there unto the Lord." Bochim means mourning or weeping. This was the only scripture the previous reader of the Gideon Bible circled. It spoke to me... Do I want to live a life of joy and obedience or do I want to live a life of disobedience and weeping?

I want to live a life of joy and I can only do it through Christ.

Father God... forgive me. Thank you for being patient, for not giving up on me. You have said that I am yours and no one can snatch me out of your hand... thank you that even I (and my sinful behavior) cannot take myself out of your hand. Thank you for the finished work of Salvation through your Son.

In Jesus name, Amen.





*Circled verse numbers were:

Judges 1 verses 21,27,29,30,31, and 33
Judges 2 verses 2,3,4,5 (and circled scripture),7,8,9,10 (scripture in brackets and "which knew not the Lord, nor yet the works which he had done for Israel" underlined), 11,12,14,and 15.

3 comments:

Tiz said...

Jen, this is an uplifting post. You were very right to go to the Holy Scriptures after listening to negative reports. You were in a parched land and you found fresh water!!!!! Glory

Love you,
Tiz

Debra said...

"But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more"

So thankful for His grace!

JC said...

My heart is thrilled over the way he speaks to his children just what we need in His own timing. I praise Him that you received what He had for you. Love ya, JC