Friday, August 27, 2010

Jen here...

My Dad was witnessing to a woman and after a few minutes of talking about Jesus, he asked her point blank "Are you saved Mrs. Smith?" Her response was "Hell no. I won't serve a God who rapes children."

My earnest and non-questioning father was struck speechless by her words referencing Mary.

I think God allowed this to happen to him for a reason. For someone who is so convicted in their life about existence of a Holy God, the provision by that God to forgive sin, and the blessing to those who accept His Son, it is easy to take our beliefs for common knowledge. Christians can hide behind a wall of judgement for sin in the world and forget that "There but by the grace of God go I."

John Bradford uttered the words "There but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford" as he watched from Tower of London as criminals were led to their execution. This was in the 1500's. His quote is still relevant because it is the grace of God that gives us eternal life, and not the death that we deserve.

As we encounter people who do not believe as we do, instead of being frustrated or affronted by their lack of faith, we should remember that it is by Grace that we are saved.

Father God, thank you for the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ in my life. Thank you for choosing me before I chose you. I pray that others might see your light in me and desire to know you. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

4 comments:

Tiz said...

Jen, Gene and I were talking about this very thing this week. We were dicussing addictions and the heart breaking problems they cause. Yep, but for the Grace of God, there go I. It was painful when I realized that WITHOUT Jesus I am as sorry as the lowest but what joy when I realized that WITH Jesus I am holy, pure, and righteous. Here I am in the Glory Zone again.
Thanks for this post.

Together We Save said...

That is a beautiful prayer. Thank you for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

There but for the grace of God, goes Ron.

God bless you and your family

~Ron

JC said...

But for the grace of God, says it all. Have a beautiful day.