Thursday, August 21, 2008

~ Thankful Thursdays with JC ~

My pastor message this week was on coming “From Darkness to Light” He used Matthew 5:14-16 as the basis of his message. Verse 16 in the (NKJ) reads, “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.” He gave us four points relating to good works. It is his third point that I want to write about. Shine the light of LOVE. He used I John 2:9-11, Message version which reads, “Anyone who claims to live in God’s light and hates a brother or sister is still in the dark. It’s the person who loves brother and sister who dwells in God’s light and doesn’t block the light from others. But whoever hates is still in the dark, stumbles around in the dark, doesn’t know which end is up, blinded by the darkness.”

Even as he spoke, I remembered telling someone that I didn’t know much about a lot of scripture and when it comes to the prophets I’m pretty much lost. But, I do know that Jesus said when asked what is the greatest commandment said in Matthew 22:37-40 (NIV), And “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment.he second is like it: “love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” I know that I love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul and mind but I’m not so sure about that loving my neighbor part. I’m working on that one. Then I thought, is that something I can work on or is loving my neighbor something that only the Holy Spirit can do. I'm pretty sure I can’t pull off loving my neighbor without some Divine help.

Paul tells us in I Corinthians 13:9 (NIV) “Love never fails” and in verse 13, “…But the greatest of these is love.”

So, I have questions for you. Who is my neighbor? Who is my brother or sister? What does it really mean to love? How do you measure up in the love walk that we are commanded to live? I’ve asked myself those questions and find myself lacking.

Father, holy is your name. How merciful you are to your children. How long suffering, how patience. Oh, how you LOVE!! Father, forgive me for not loving my neighbor. Forgive me for not even knowing who my neighbor is. Is all mankind my neighbor? Is it other believers? Where is the line Father between loving and being run over or abused by man/woman? Is there a line?
ABBA, Father I come to with my heart completely broken. Open my eyes shine your light into the core of my being. Father teach me to love as you love; totally, completely, without reservation, Daddy, I’m you child and I’m running to you. Running to you like a little child runs. I’ve so much to learn. Let me bask in Your light as I learn to love. Father keep me from danger, please keep evil far from me. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Oh, how you pour out your grace and blessings on me. Father I pray that I never become complacent. In Jesus’ holy, precious and powerful name I pray. Amen

3 comments:

Tiz said...

JC, I remember hearing years ago that "you do not have to like them but you do have to love them" I had no idea what that meant until I came to realize that Love HIMSELF indwells my spirit and it is Him that does the loving and I reap the warm fuzzy feeling!!!! I may not always like someones actions or their personality but Jesus in me loves them in fullfillment of His command which you spoke of.

I love you and I like you, Bethy

Sign4Jesus said...

I had an incident where a repected person in a position of leadership at my church had just left our church to start another ministry and a conversation took place where I was spoken very down to and my words were twisted as if I was the bad guy, which caused lots of problems afterward. (At the time I stepped into the new position) I had to let the Holy Spirit fill me and overcome any negative feelings of hurt and dislike. I prayed hard for her and in time I did love her through Christ. I think like Tiz said it is ok not to like someone's actions or personality but we can react always in love which comes through serving Christ and asking Him to help us to love them as He does.

Hope this helps. God bless.

j said...

What an emotional post! I don't know the answer to your questions either. I haven't even thought outside of my own problems to care about my neighbor here lately and THAT is to my shame.

The first thing that popped into my mind when I read your questions was We love because he first loved us. LOVE does not come naturally I think so we have to love because of His love... through Him.

This really was thought provoking Carol.

Jen