Thursday, November 20, 2008

THANKFUL THURSDAY WITH JC

For the last five days I have been with a tour group of older adults. I noticed many of them were dwelling on things from their past that could not be changed instead of looking forward to the future. This morning I read my morning devotion. It speaks of Naomi from the book of Ruth. The book of Ruth is full of rich wisdom but I seldom give Naomi much thought. Have you read Ruth lately. It isn't a long book so some time in the next week try to read it.

Here is part of the devotion from The Word For You Today. There was famine in Bethlehem so Naomi, her husband and two sons moved to Moab where living was better. They didn't plan on staying ten years but they did. Their children grew up and married local girls, Ruth and Orpah. Then crisis hit Naomi. Her husband and sons died and she became bitter. (Sound familiar to any of you.) Well, she heard things were better in Bethlehem so she decided to go back home to Bethlehem. When she got home she said, "I went out full, and the Lord has brought me home again empty" (Ruth 1:21 NKJV). What did she mean? She was saying that despite the famine at home in Bethlehem, at least there she had her husband and sons, whereas in Moab, "the land of plenty," she'd lost them.

You never miss the water till the well runs dry! The truth is, you can be blessed and not know it. Only as you look back do you realize that what you have, is much more important than all the things you don't have. When Naomi lost what she loved most, even a famine seemed insignificant by comparison. Have you been saying, "I'll be happy when. . .? NO, happiness doesn't come from getting what you want, it comes from appreciating what God's given you. Instead of whining and complaining about your lot in life, stop and ask yourself, "What would I take in exchange for what I have?" If you don't know the answer, begin counting your blessing and thanking God for them.

With Thanksgiving coming up in one week, now would be a good time for us to write out a list of our blessing to share on Thanksgiving day.

Father, thank you for keeping me and my fellow travelers save on this tour. Thank you for opening my eyes to the condition of people around me. Thank you for the reminder to let the past be the past, nothing can be done to change it but lessons can be learned from living it. The future is in Your hands. The future is a mystery so no need to fret about it. AHH, but, today! Today is the present; a present from You. Today I will live like today is my last on earth. Today I will laugh. Today I will learn. Today I will spend time with YOU. Thank you for Your presence today, Your present to me. In Jesus' holy, precious and powerful name I pray. Amen

5 comments:

Debra said...

Thank you...I so needed to be reminded of this, I am blessed right where I am in life...I need nothing more and nothing less

Blessings

Dawn said...

It's so easy to overlook the blessings of *now* isn't it?

Nicely worded reminder.

Blessings!

Tiz said...

JC, thanks for this post. You know my feelings about complaining!! Makes me sick when I complain and makes me sick to listen to it.

Also, I love the book of Ruth. Maybe I will take the time to reread it today.

Love you, Bethy

concerned parent said...

I came today to hear/read something uplifting I found just what my heart needed a word that fit into my life right now perfectly.
Thank you Lord for women who hear from you and pass it on to bless others.

j said...

JC - Girl this post PREACHED! I have never seen that point made in Ruth although I have read that book a few times and have heard it preached from the pulpit. The point you made was spot on and powerful. POWERFUL!!!

Thank you for sharing with such wisdom and obvious direction of the Holy Spirit. Praise God!

I love you!

Jen