Thursday, December 4, 2008

THANKFUL THURSDAY WITH JC

Grace, Grace, God's Grace,
Grace that is greater than all our sin.

I began humming this today after reading my daily devotion from "The Word for You Today".

It reads, "The word "grace," is so important that Paul mentions it three times more than any other writer. Remembering the violent life he lived, he writes, "although I am less than the least of all God's people, this grace was given me to preach...the unsearchable riches of Christ." (Eph. 3:8 NIV) The word grace comes from the Greek word charis, meaning "pure joy." Although you didn't deserve it, God considered saving you a "pure joy." HOW ABOUT THAT?

In John, chapter 8, a woman is caught in the act of adultery. The law is unmistakable about her punishment. The Pharisees are ready to stone her. She knows that Jesus, being righteous, must agree. She has no lawyer to defend her, not even a character witness! Suddenly Jesus stoops and begins to write in the sand. Some scholars have suggested that perhaps He wrote down their sins, times, places, etc. Ouch! When He looks up, her accusers are gone. He says, "Neither do I condemn you...Go now and leave your life of sin" (John 8:11 NIV). Jesus lifted her from a position of undeniable guilt to one of unconditional pardon. She didn't deserve it, and didn't know it was possible. And that's your story too, isn't it?

One day Abraham Lincoln watched a plantation owner bidding for a slave girl. Figuring he was going to buy her and abuse her. Lincoln paid the price to set her free, "Does this mean I can say whatever I want to say?" she asked. Lincoln replied, "Yes." Again she asked, "Does this mean I can go wherever I want to go?" Again Lincoln responded, "Yes, you're free!" With tears streaming down her face she replied, "Then, sir, I will go with you." That's grace!"

Father, God, THANK YOU for Your grace. I'll go where You want me go. I'll said what You want me to say. I'll be what You want me to be. Thank You for Your saving grace given freely through Christ for it is in His holy, powerful and precious name I pray. Amen

4 comments:

Tiz said...

JC, this post made me feel humbled thru and thru.

God's Amazing Grace - I just cannot comprehend it but I can rest in it!!!

Love you, Bethy

Debra said...

Grace...God's grace...how marvalous!

Jennifer@TheSilver said...

Thank God for his grace

j said...

"Father, God, THANK YOU for Your grace. I'll go where You want me go. I'll said what You want me to say. I'll be what You want me to be. Thank You for Your saving grace given freely through Christ for it is in His holy, powerful and precious name I pray."

I think I will pray your prayer before I walk out of the door today. Seems that I am double dipping in His grace lately. Praise God He is so full of loving kindness and Grace!