Thursday, December 18, 2008

THANKFUL THURSDAYS WITH JC

HALLELUJAH means a shout of joy, praise, gratitude. Praise the Lord CHRIST IS COME.

I love the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah. I can listen to it over and over anytime of year.

Did you know that when Handel composed this wonderful work that he was depressed. Literally in despair, struggling to earn a living in London in 1741, he knew days when he could not afford to buy meals. I learned this while doing some research from Morning-Glow. A friend managed to gain entrance to his dwelling after being unable to reach him for three weeks. The friend found Handel at his piano with sheets of music strewn around him, tears streaming down his face. Handel exclaimed, "I do believe I have seen all of Heaven before me, and the great God Himself!"

Messiah was first performed in Dublin in 1742; it is said that during the HALLELUJAH CHORUS the King stood. AWESOME!

The point I'm making is no matter what your circumstances, God is still God, Jesus is still the Christ and you are not alone or forgotten. Let these words and music lift you above where you are as you listen to this majestic song.




Father God, Awesome are your works, awesome is your power, awesome is your compassion toward your creation. Thank You for Your precious Son whose birth we celebrate. Father during this Christmas season give us gentle reminders of those things that are most important to you. Father, I pray you help us to witness to the fallen and unsaved. Fill us with mercy and compassion for those hurting and in need. Show us how to demonstrate the love of Christ. For it is in the precious, holy and powerful name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.




6 comments:

MaryFran said...

Thank you so much for your entry. Life has been getting to me recently and it is so easy to forget that my Lord and Savior is in control. Your post was a great reminder!

Tiz said...

Well, JC, my Sister Princess, this song certainly exalts our King!!!
Beautiful post.

Love you, Bethy

j said...

I fixed it! Sorry.

Love the history and I love the song. Praise God!!

Love you,

Jen

Betty said...

Merry Christmas JC! Loved your 1oo Days with Lynda!

Manuela said...

Thanks for sharing this story!

One of my biggest thrills was singing The Messiah with my university chorale in my first year of undergrad. I still get goosebumps when I hear it.

Let's always remember the reason for the season!

j said...

This may be your best post ever by the way!