Thursday, February 12, 2009

THANKFUL THURSDAY WITH JC

The word seed is used many places in scripture. Its meaning varies depending on the context of the scripture. There are too many references to list them here.

In the Gospel of Matthew we read the parable of the farmer sowing seed. Some fell on hard ground, some among thorns and some on good soil yielding a large harvest. It is in chapter 13 if you want to look it up.

In I Corinthians 3:6 Paul talks about planting the seed, another (Apollos) watering the seed but God made the seed grow. Then in II Corinthians 9:10 we read "Now he who supplies seed to the sower & bread for food will also supply & increase your store of seed & will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness."

My pastor made a point this Sunday using the illustration of seed or rather the fact that we are always looking for the harvest when we haven't sown any seed. The farmer must sow seed first then water, weed and pray before he sees the harvest.

He said we spend way to much time dwelling on ourselves and our needs when we could be using the seed we have to sow into the lives of others and let God provide for us. What is seed? Obvious answer is money and that would not be incorrect but I think we have so much seed that we don't even realize. What about a smile or a word of encouragement. A helping hand. I'm thinking about a young woman who thanked me for sitting with her at church a month or so back. I was just there, I didn't give her any words of wisdom, just a hug and the words, "I'm so happy to worship with you today." Those words made her know she was welcome and wanted in our church.

My pastor's challenge to us is to 1) ask God for supernatural seed to sow, 2) recognize the seed and 3) sow it. Let God take care of providing the seed and let God bring the harvest. You be the the farmer sowing what you have. From now until Easter pray for seed to sow instead of a harvest and see what happens. You may just find all your needs met while you are thinking of others.

My question to you. Are you up for this challenge?

Father, God, holy is your name. Your kingdom come; your will be done in the earth just as it is in Heaven. Father give each person reading this post, who is up for the challenge, supernatural seed to sow. Father show us where to sow the seed you give us and Father give us eyes to see and hearts to understand the harvest that will come from you as we walk in obedience to sow seed. In Jesus' holy, precious and powerful name I pray. Amen

4 comments:

Tiz said...

JC, yes, I will take the challenge. Whatever seed He provides me with I will gladly sow it.

Great post - great challenge.

Love you, Behty

Lori Stilger said...

Good word, Jen!!!!
Listen, I'm giving you an award on my wannabe blog; you can put it wherever you want. Actually, I'm giving you two - I'm still posting it. LOL!!!!!
BE BLESSED, Jennifer!

j said...

I could hear you saying that to someone "I am so happy to worship with you today!" You are so welcoming and gracious.

This was an excellent point. We really can 'sow' with just a smile. A pleasant attitude in a long line (I failed that one miserably last week). Your pastor is right... if we stop thinking of self and how we can help others, we would probably be more patient and SOW SEEDS with our smiles and our attitude.

LOVE YOU FOR THIS POST!!!!

Jen

j said...

Stop thinking of self and START thinking of others... sometimes I am the only one that knows what I am talking about :)