Thursday, February 19, 2009

THANKFUL THURSDAY WITH JC

I'm guilty. It's true, I'm guilty of not spending time in God's word. A lot of time I read but I don't understand what is being said. I can't relate the passage to me and my life, my circumstances. Can you relate? Recently I discovered BibleGateway.com . On this site you can read the same passage of scripture in a dozen or more different versions and languages. Now I am mesmerized by how the same verses I've read or memorized read in different versions. Take this one from the Message Bible written by Eugene H. Peterson.

Psalm 1 (MSG)
How well God must like you - you don't hang out at Sin Saloon, you don't slink along Dead-End Road, You don't go to Smart-Mouth College. Instead you thrill at God's Word, You chew on Scripture day and night. You're a tree replanted in Eden, bearing fresh fruit every month, never dropping a leaf, always in blossom. You're not at all like the wicked, who are mere windblown dust - without defense in court, unfit company for innocent people. God charts the road you take. The road they take is Skid Row.


Father, I love you. I so thankful that you consider me with all my faults and all my silliness. You love me. Father, I don't really know what to make of all the different versions of your word. Part of me thinks that so many versions are misleading. Another part of me thrills to read and study on your word in different ways. Father I ask you to lead, guide and direct me as I study/dwell on your word. Father give me wisdom to understand the true meaning of your word and how it applies to my here and now. In Jesus' precious, holy and powerful name I pray. Amen

2 comments:

Tiz said...

JC, this post is just precious. I had not read Psalm 1 in my Message translation. I have now and I like it.

Have a great day. I love you. Bethy

j said...

JC I think that GOD reveals His word to us as we read it. That is why sometimes when I read a scripture that I have read before and it suddenly hits me between the eyes, it is HIS will that I got that message at that time. So regardless of translation, if I pray for Him to protect me from the things that DON'T need to take root, and to reveal to me the things that DO, I am COVERED!!! That makes me smile!

I am not a King James purist but I know those that are I don't judge them. Maybe God needs them to strictly read His word in that form. I don't know, but I know that I get so much out of the New American Standard Bible that I cannot doubt that it is right for me.

The translation of that Psalm was cool! I enjoyed reading it and I understood the point.

Excellent post and I love you VERY much!!!!

Jen